Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sacred

The Christmas of 2007 Josh and I weren't engaged yet but I knew it was about to happen (it happened on January 14th) so I wasn't surprised when one of his gifts to me was a book about marriage. He LOVES books. Actually he is borderline obsessed with books. He had read Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas and really wanted me to read it as well. He also bought me Sacred Influence.



I was very appreciative of these books but I have a hard time with nonfiction sometimes. I love them but I have to be in a certain frame of mind. I guess this is a good time to tell you that I still haven't read them. I will read them I just haven't yet.


Right before we got married though I read somewhere online about Devotions of a Sacred Marriage. Josh and I were looking for a devotional for the two of us so we thought it would be the perfect one.
We love it. We went through it two or three times and we will definitely come back to it. It's challenging and causes you to think about someone other than yourself. Crazy, huh?!
Once Josh and I found out we were going to have a baby we knew we not only needed to grow in our marriage but we also needed to grow as parents. Well wouldn't you know there is a Devotions for Sacred Parenting book?




We had to buy it, of course, and it has been great. Let me set the record straight here. Just because we have the devotional books doesn't mean we sit down every night and do them. Not true. We have been very lazy about it in the past but we've gotten back into it which is why it is fresh on my mind. In fact it was during last night's devotional that I thought about blogging these books. They really are great books. I'm thankful we've found them. If you are looking for something for yourself or as a gift I would check them out. He has lots of other books too that I am sure are great. Maybe one day I will get around to reading them. :)

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

I am reading Sacred Marriage right now and I love it! It is such a life changing book and really makes you think.

Lauren said...

I love "Sacred Marriage." I should read it OVER and OVER again.
I'm reading the parenting devotional book RIGHT NOW. Like, just a few seconds ago! How funny... =) I feel like I don't have time, energy, or the ability to focus on a real "Bible Study" right now, but I have found the "Sacred Parenting" devotional to be really encouraging and not at all cheesy.

Whitney said...

Thanks so much for this! I have been looking for something and plan to pick one of these up this week. This post was so timely for my life!

Taylor said...

I've read most of "Sacred Marriage". I like it!

Maryland Magnolia said...

My husband and I have been looking for a good couple's devotional! We have been doing "Morning and Evening" by Charles Spurgeon, but we wanted something new. Thanks for the recommendation :)

P.S. I just ordered an Erin Condren planner too with the Plum District voucher. I can't wait until my planner comes in the mail!!!

Sara Moon said...

Thank you for the recommendation! My husband and I have been married for a year. We are currently reading Night Light a devotional we do before bed by Dr. Dobson, but I have been looking for a new once since we are almost done.

Heather said...

I love Gary Thomas. He recently came on staff at our church and we love him as much as Ed Young!! He is doing a series on Sacred Pathways for the next few weeks!!

Jennifer said...

We talked about Sacred Marriage in Bible Study this spring! Someone suggested we all read it but I forgot about it until I read this post! Thanks for the reminder! I'm going to have to go buy it!

Laura said...

omg, we just finished the Sacred Marriage devotions book, and love love love it!!!! We would do them every Sunday morning together! Best marriage book ever!