Thursday, June 23, 2011

Our Schedule

I was thinking the other day that I wanted to remember how Sadie and I spent our days while she was little. I've worked really hard to get Sadie on a good schedule and I feel like at this point she is. Before she decides to put a kink in our schedule I wanted to document it. Obviously some of are days vary depending up the number of errands I have to do or if we're traveling. This is mainly for when we are home or only have a few things to do around town.

(here she is modeling her new dress...love her little face in this pictures)


Schedule


7:00 (or 7:30): Eat Time. Sadie either wakes up on her own or I wake her up. I've been using the 7, 10, 1, 4, 7, 10 schedule but if we have something planned the next day or I know she's really tired I might start it at 7:30. She doesn't seem to be bothered by the 30 minute difference. At this time I change her diaper, give her Zantac, and Mylecon, then give her a bottle.


7:30-8:30: Play Time. Sadie is normally finished eating by this time. I usually hold her for a while to help her reflux. She prefers to be in her bouncy or swing shortly after she eats. I think her tummy feels better when she's stretched out. She's so happy in the mornings. She loves being in her swing, watching Praise Baby, talking, and laughing. While she's doing this I spend time getting dressed, eating breakfast, and picking out her outfit of the day. If we have errands to run I get her dressed during this time also. And I've been known to use "play time" to take pictures of her in her green chair.


8:30-10:00: Sleep Time. When we are home Sadie goes down for a nap at this time. She is soooo ready for this nap. Normally about 10 minutes before it she gets fussy and you know she's ready to sleep. This is one of her best times to nap. Again, if she's super tired I might let her sleep a few extra minutes (IF we started the day at 7) and we adjust our schedule otherwise I wake her up at 10:00. During this naptime I usually wash bottles, blog, pick things up around the apartment, etc. If we have errands to run I like to do them at this time because Sadie will fall asleep in the car normall anyway so I can get what I need done and be back before the next feeding.


10:00: Eat Time. I wake Sadie up and give her a bottle.


10:30-11:30: Play Time. Our routine is the same immediately after each feeding. I also like to give her time to play on her mat and do tummy time after this feeding. Now that she can sit in her bumbo I let her sit in it to help build her muscles as well. Of course a lot of times I hold her and kiss on her because is so stinking cute I can't stand it.


11:30-1:00: Sleep Time. This is typically a good nap for Sadie as well. Sometimes she wakes up in the middle, cries for about 20 seconds, then falls back asleep. I don't normally let her cry it out* during this nap if she had a really good nap earlier. This normally isn't a problem because she usually sleeps great during this time. While she's napping I finish up on what I didn't get done during the first nap. And I eat lunch. :)


1:00: Eat Time. I wake Sadie up (if she isn't awake but she usually is) and give her a bottle. This bottle has 1 ounce of pear juice in to "help her out a little".


1:30-2:30: Play Time. We normally do the same thing we did during the last play time OR we go run errands. It's so hot these days so we try not to run errands during afternoons. She and I both burn up.


2:30-4:00: Sleep Time. Sometimes Sadie doesn't go down until closer to 3:00. She doesn't nap super great in the afternoons if she has had two good morning naps. I'm going to try to get her used to a long morning nap, long afternoon nap, and extra cat naps at some point. I think she'll do better with those but for now she needs to sleep throughout the day. Sometimes with this nap I have to leave her in her crib until it is time to get up. During this nap I do the same thing as the others. There's always something that needs to be done.


4:00: Eat Time. I get Sadie up and give her a bottle.


4:30-5:30: Play Time. We normally do what we did during the other play times. I try and change it up a bit so she doesn't get bored. If she is enjoying her swing at this time I might take advantage of it and get things ready for dinner. Don't be fooled, this is only when I cook, which isn't often.


5:30-7:00: Sleep Time. This is Sadie's worst nap time. She normally only naps for about 30-45 minutes. I have tried to make her nap BUT she just doesn't do well. If she has slept great during the day I normally don't force this entire nap time on her. I will get her up and play with her. One reason I do this too is because Josh has worked all day and he gets home during this time. He's more than ready to see her and I know that time is priceless. This is also dinner time for Josh and I though so we try to eat while she is sleeping if we can.


7:00: Eat Time. Sadie gets her bottle and her Zantac at this time.


7:30-8:30: Play Time. After Sadie eats we play with her for a bit (this is usually Josh holding her) then she gets a bath. I give her a bath and get her ready for bed. Sadie usually gets VERY fussy after her bath because she knows it is sleep time and she is more than ready.


8:30-10:00: Sleep Time. Sadie normally cries a little at this point but only because she is SOOO tired. It doesn't last long and then she is normally out. If she doesn't fall hard asleep she lays in her bed and "plays." It's pretty cute. During this time is when Josh tends to Sadie if she needs it and I shower. Ahhh....I love this time of the day. Don' get me wrong, I love being with Sadie during the day. It's the best! I do, however, love shower time. It's the only time I can have with just me to relax. It doesn't last long but it is precious.


10:00: Eat Time. I wake Sadie up and give her a bottle. She normally sleeps and takes it which is nice.


10:30pm-7:00am. Sleep Time. At this time she goes right back to sleep because she normally never wakes up. She's so sweet and I kiss her face again and again.


*I know that not everyone agrees with or does "cry it out" and that is just fine. It is not for everyone but it works well for Sadie. I've already heard all the good and bad things about it so no need to leave me a comment about why I shouldn't do it. :)


8 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi Hillary and Sadie Im usually just one of your blog stockers but had to comment...I love that first picture. Its like she is saying......"really Mommy another picture?" Ha too cute!

Whitney Carr said...

I am all for letting them "cry it out". I finally let Lily do it, (she cried for an hour!) and she has slept the whole night through since! Wish I would have done it sooner!

KatieB. said...

I find this so interesting. I don't have kids yet and never really knew what the schedule is for babies. I will definitely be referring to all these blogs when I do start a family so I know what to do!

Lisa said...

Thank you for doing this! We are having our first child in August and I have been wondering about an infant schedule. I can't believe she sleeps from 10:30-7 this soon.

Lena said...

I love your disclaimer at the end about "crying it out." Just do what is best for you and YOUR baby...don't listen to anyone else. I want to be a mom so badly, however, I am not looking forward to the "Judgement" or opinions of other moms...ugh.
By the way, Sadie is gorgeous!

Amy said...

she is just the cutest things....so dainty and sweet!

Jennifer said...

Love your schedule! Of course, you probably already knew that though!:) SO proud of you two girls for your hard work!

The Rohman Family said...

You will be so glad you documented this! Mine are only 20 months apart, but when the 2nd one came along, I couldn't remember a thing about the schedule in the first few months!