Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Birth Day



A lot of you have asked about the actual birth day so I thought I would share about it. I won't share every detail but I will share lots of them.


It all started Saturday, April 9th. I woke up that morning and my feet were swollen. My feet had been swelling a bunch but never in the morning. I immediately thought my blood pressure was up. I took it a few times that morning and 2 of the readings were high. I took it easy the rest of the day and on Sunday. Monday I felt good but decided to go ahead and take it. It had gone up quite a bit more and after each reading it was higher and higher. By the time I got to the doctor it had gone down but since she figured the trend suggested it wasn't going to cooperate she decided to induce. She told us to go to the hospital Tuesday night at 9:00 to start medicine that would help make an induction on Wednesday morning easier.


Josh and I went in Tuesday and got everything started. Things didn't progress very quickly so I had to have another round of medicine. When my doctor came in to see me Wednesday morning I was only at a 1 so she broke my water and started me on pitocin. I have lots of funny stories about that but I'm pretty sure they aren't appropriate for all of my readers. :) I was told that once I made it to a 2 I could have my epidural. I was grateful for that. My contractions were already starting strong and they were all in my lower back. Ouch.


Once at 2 centimeters the crew came in to start my epidural. I wasn't really worried about getting one and actually getting one was just fine. Unfortunately a situation occurred after I had received it that was very painful and very scary for the time being. Again, I don't think its appropriate to go into all of that on here. All is well and so I will just leave it at that.


Once the epidural situation was fixed the pain started to go away. The only problem is that the epidural would only last an hour. That's it. They had to come add more heavenly goodness to it 3 times.


It took all day to get to a 5. I think I finally made it to 5 at 6:00pm. By 7 I was hurting and told them I needed more drugs and asked if they would check me. She said that since my doctor didn't think I would have her until 11:00pm that night she had planned to check a little later. LUCKILY the nurse that came in to do something else decided she'd check. Good thing she did because I went from 5 to a 10 in less than an hour. Sadie was ready to make her debut. They let me "labor down" for the next hour and a half and they came in at 8:30 to get things going. Praise the Lord I only had to push for 8 minutes and our little bundle was here.


I looked up while they were tending to her and I saw the biggest eyes staring at me. There's nothing like that moment. You carry this little person inside of you for so long and when you finally get to lay eyes on them its unbelievable. I still can't believe she is ours.


The next couple of days were a blur. We moved to our post partum room that night. After I fed her for the first time I sent her to the nursery so Josh and I could get a little sleep. We stayed in the hospital until Friday afternoon then we came home. Our lives have completely changed since leaving the hospital. We are trying to adjust and so is Sadie. Being a parent is hard work. No one can really prepare you for your "new normal" (my friend Megan blogged about this). Josh and I are both really tired but we're also both in love with our little girl.


Lots of pictures coming soon!!!

18 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh goodness Hillary, she is a beauty!!!!!!!!! :)

The Durham Family said...

She is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

Aishlea said...

She's so pretty! I'm laughing because I had some stories after they broke my water that were hilarious but not appropriate to share, either. There's no experience quite like childbirth, huh?! :) Congrats again...

Catie said...

She is beautiful♥

Diane said...

Thanks for sharing yet another wonderful picture. So glad her birth day was a good one for you.

Kyra said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations!

Kelly said...

She is just beautiful! I can't wait to meet her!

Sara Sexton said...

She is so beautiful! Congratulations!!

Jill said...

I look forward to hearing all of the inappropriate for blog details soon! LOL

hollie marie said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful story and a beautiful girl!! Thanks for sharing :)
-Hollie

Audra said...

8 minutes! Lucky you! I pushed for the longest hour of my life. I'm so glad everything went well. Sadie is beautiful and she has a friend in NWA named Elysen ready to have a tea party with her!

Mommy2Vin said...

Hillary. . . Its danielle from ny ( the one u made the jewelry pouch for). I've been thinking about u and am soooo glad Sadie is here. I have to tell you, she is seriously the most beautiful baby I have ever seen! She looks like an angel. . . And those eyes r to die for! Praying for peace, rest, and joy in this new season of your life! Danielle

Amy said...

I have to agree - OH, MY GOODNESS! She is so, so beautiful! Love her adorableness in the pink and white stripes. :)

Please feel free to post more pictures. Like LOTS. :)

Miss E said...

She is precious.... soak in every minute. Its the best proof on how amazing HE is! Congradulations.

Erika E.L. Martin said...

Congrats! I gave birth to my daughter on Halloween and your birth story sounds similar to mine. She is gorgeous and enjoy these moments!!

Angie said...

She is gorgeous!!!

Jessica said...

She is beautiful!! I know yall are in LOVE!

Natalie and Lee said...

She is beautiful! Congrats on your little miracle!