Monday, January 3, 2011

2011

Well, here we are, another year. I've always loved a new year because it is a fresh start. I haven't really made any "resolutions" the last several years but more like goals. I've thought about what my goals for this year would be and things just seem different. I'm not starting a major diet tomorrow (although I'm thinking I should cut back on the sugar) because I'm pregnant and this is the only time I have an excuse not to diet. I'd love to say that I'm going to start working on my finances but honestly Josh and I have been working on that for a while. I used to commit to blog more at the beginning of the year but I've actually done a pretty decent job of that lately. Sure, I'd like to be more organized but "nesting" is going to cause that and not a new year. I guess, having said all that, this year I'm just going to do the best I can to make good decisions about food, money, organizing, etc but I have something else on my mind for this year.

Being a first time mom is very scary and intimidating. Although I'm SO READY for Sadie to get here I haven't the slightest idea what to do with her when she arrives. I know feeding her, changing her diapers, and making sure she sleeps are all essentials but even the "simple" things scare me. Babies have a way of making the simple not so simple. So I guess you could say my goal for this year is to take each moment as it comes. Not to try and have it all figured out ahead of time but just go with the flow. And perhaps I'll read a few "how to" books and ask my experienced friends lots of questions.

This year my time will be spent loving the Lord, loving Josh, and loving Sadie. No other goal I set can even compare to these three things. Sure along the way I'd like to keep doing what I've been doing and I'd really like to lose the baby weight ASAP but in time those things will work themselves out. I won't worry or stress or obsess over them. I have more important things to fill my thoughts.

I hope and pray that 2011 is a blessed year for all of us and that at the end of it we are better people than we were when we began.

3 comments:

His Doorkeeper said...

Hillary, Your post was so sweet. Don't worry about being a first-time Mom. Everyone who has ever had a baby, I promise you, has had those very same fears.

I had never been around babies when I had Kelly. I was scared to death...especially when it came time for first bath, etc. My Mom helped me and I'm sure you will get some "MOM" help too but you will find out that nature kicks in and you will be so totally IN LOVE with Sadie that it will be the greatest time of your life.

Savor every minute...keep a journal....you think you will never forget those "firsts" but you will. Of course, you are blessed with a blog to do that but I still recommend a WRITTEN journal just to pass down to Sadie some day!

Thinking of you and Josh as you wait!
Blessings!

Melanie Mueller said...

Hillary~ What an exciting year you have ahead of you!! As the mother of 3 boys (ages 7,4, 1) I can say that there is nothing better than being their Mama. My tips for motherhood :
1. Enjoy every minute, it flies by.
2. Trust your instincts. Everyone has great advice and you can consider it all. But you will know your baby best and you need to do what you feel is best for her. (Love her name by the way)
3. Smile at her all the time.Even when you are tired, down,changing smelly diapers in the wee hours of the night, etc. My mom told me this when I was a little blah after having my first boy snd so I have made sure to smile at them when I talk to them or am just near them. Sure enough all of my boys smile all of the time!!
Okay that is my 2 cents. I am so excited for you!! Happy New Year!

Marie said...

What great goals and many wishes for a happy 2011 for you and your family!