Monday, November 22, 2010

The Twitter



Well, I know this might seem like a weird blog topic but it's one I've been thinking about for a while now. I just LOVE Twitter. Ridiculous, huh? Well let me tell you why I love Twitter so much.

I started my journey on Twitter the beginning of last year. I mainly joined because Kelly convinced me I needed to be a part of it. She said she loved it more than Facebook and she knew I'd love it too. I actually had a Twitter account set up from a while back I just never used it. I knew it was necessary I make it a part of my life once plans for So Long Insecurity -Overflow Atlanta were underway. All the girls going were big into it and I could not be left out.

It didn't take me long to really get the hang of how things worked. At first I was clueless about what I was doing but now I'd say I'm a pro. :) And Kelly was right. It is way better to me than Facebook. I think I like it more because I can be more open on Twitter. I have a lot more Facebook friends than I have Twitter followers and I like it that way. In fact I'm a little protective of who I allow to follow me. Twitter is safe for me. I can say what I want to about what's really going on and so often times I don't allow IRL (in real life) people to follow me. I know that sounds harsh and it's not the case with everyone. The truth is there are just some things I can say on Twitter that I can't say on the blog or Facebook because those audiences are a lot bigger. And for that reason I keep it small and simple.

One of the BEST things about Twitter is the people on there. I can't tell you how much encouragement, prayer, and support I have received from my Tweeps. :) A lot of the people I follow and follow me are also fellow bloggers but Twitter takes our relationship to a whole new level. You get to know people really well simply by what they tweet. And you realize that there are people all over the country that you can call friends.
I guess this leads me to what prompted me to write about Twitter. Over the last several months I've really developed wonderful friendships with some of my Tweeps. A lot of them are already moms so they have been great to give advice. Some are also into sewing and things so it's nice to have them in my circle. Most, if not all, are Christians so its easy to share about the Lord. And several are pregnant so that's really fun. In fact, two in particular are pregnant for the first time and we're all due within 4 weeks of each other. We tweet a lot but recently we've started e-mailing. The Lord has used these two ladies in a huge way. In a lot of ways we're in the same spot, going through the same things. I've been so encouraged by these girls and without Twitter (and blogs) we probably never would have known each other. I consider these girls my friends and I can't wait to share more "baby" stuff together.
I'm just so thankful for all the ways God has used Twitter to bless me. I know it seems a little silly but in the season of my life right now these friendships are priceless. It is so fun to live life together with so many wonderful people. So, laugh if you must, but Twitter rocks!!

10 comments:

Jess :) said...

What a cute post!!! I totally agree about Twitter...not only do I agree with you and Kelly about it being better than FB, but you can be so much more "open" in this environment. :)

I'm so thankful that you started Tweeting! You are a GEM and I'm just so thankful to be able to pray and walk alongside you on your newest journey...becoming a MOM!!! :)

Hugs, friend!!

Ashley said...

Amen!! My mom convinced me to join Twitter and I am SOOOO glad I did! I have been so blessed by being able to share/hear others share, and by the friendships I have developed from it! So lucky to have gotten to know you better! : ) Love you!

Fran said...

I am so blessed to be a twitter friend with you!!!! It's a fabulous community and encouragement, laughter, and prayer are always there!!!

Angie said...

Yesterday I was thinking about how much I love twitter! I agree with you...it is great fun and I have met some amazing friends through tweeting! I have also developed some serious food cravings...ha! remember the hush puppies? I still haven't had any. I need to remedy that :)

Great post, so NOT a weird topic at all...I totally agree...Twitter Rocks!

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

I LOVE twitter too! You are right it is a great community just like blogging.

Colleen said...

COMPLETELY ONE HUNDRED PERCENT AGREE!!!!!!!!!!

Niki said...

I love this post. You have taken the words right out of my mouth. I've just started getting more into Twitter in the last little bit... mainly because I didn't understand, but it is sooo much better than facebook. And I don't censor myself nearly as much! I don't worry about offending so and so because they believe whatever! Ya know? I have no clue if that made sense. haha!
I always tell people the support and instant prayers are THE best part about it!
The friendships developed aren't too shabby either.

Kelly said...

I'm so glad I could start the addiction! You know I love twitter!!!

Ashley said...

SUCH A TRUE POST! I thought Twitter was for "techies" or people with too much time on their hands before I joined in. Boy was I wrong!!!
It's been so fun getting to know you through Twitter. You are such an encouragement to me, your DM's lift (and crack) me up and I love that we can pray for eachother in our different, yet so similar seasons of life.

Erica said...

I love this post! I also just started tweeting this year and had no idea what it was or how it worked, you do figure out fast! I like what you said about IRL friends, because honestly, no one I know IRL even has Twitter, ha! Sometimes I feel like bringing it up in a conversation, but I usually refrain b/c people who don't have it just don't understand:)