Friday, October 1, 2010

It's Getting Chili

First of all thank you for the comments, emails, FB messages, texts, and tweets about my last post. I knew I wasn't alone but it was great to hear it from so many of you! God is faithful even when we aren't! Ok....on to my next item if business...

I am so happy fall is here and so are the cooler temperatures!! Check these out...



And what better way to bring in the fall than with a chili recipe?! My mom made us this recipe for dinner last night and it was so good! She got it from her friend, Dianne.

Spicy Chicken Chili

2 TBSP cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound chicken (I get 1 lb of chicken from Whole Hog)
4 tsp chili powder
1 TBSP ground cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
1 can crushed tomatoes with their juice
2 ½ cups canned low-sodium chicken broth
1 can corn (15 oz) drained and rinsed
1 can black beans (15 oz) drained and rinsed
½ tsp fresh-ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped cilantro (optional)

1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook until they start to soften, about 3 minutes.
2. Increase the heat to moderate and stir in the chicken strips. Cook until they are no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt. Add the jalapenos, the tomatoes with their juice, and the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Uncover the saucepan and stir in the corn, black beans and black pepper. Simmer until the chili is thickened, about 15 minutes longer. Serve topped with the cilantro.


I wish I had taken a picture of it but I inhaled it too fast. We ate it with fritos and cheese but it is great alone or maybe even over rice. And if you notice, these ladies get their chicken from a BBQ restaurant and while any chicken would work, the smoked chicken was soooooo goooood!
I'm so happy to reort that I have leftovers of it for lunch today!

4 comments:

Jill said...

This chili sounds so good! I'm very excited about our cooler temps on the way, but I have nothing to wear!!

I also read your last post on fear. Can totally relate. I have to take my thoughts captive constantly. Praying you are able to enjoy every second of this pregnancy. That baby is God's baby...He can care for him/her just fine. :)

((HUGS))

p.s. Still need to get you the heart rate monitor! :)

Ashley said...

Well that sounds delish! I'll be trying that for sure!

Donna said...

Yup! I love making chili when it becomes "chili" out too!! Your is a different version and sounds great...I'll enjoy trying it!!

Lena said...

I made your recipe and am enjoying it as I write this! I am going to post it soon on my blog and link your blog. Thanks!