Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cover It Up

Anyone who knows me knows that I like to buy things cheap. I used to not be this way. I used to think I had to have the best brand of everything. That quickly changed once I got a job and had to spend my own money. I soon realized that there are some things you can spend way less on and still get a good product. Makeup for me is one example. When I first started wearing makeup I used Clinique. I felt really cool that I had nice makeup. Then I transitioned into some other expensive brand because I liked the powder foundation. Next, of course, I tried Bare Minerals like the rest of the world. I really liked it I just didn't like buying it. Eventually I gave up and went to Walmart. Let me just tell you that there are several lines of great makeup at Walmart that are just good as the name brand items. The only problem with Walmart is that there isn't somewhere there to tell you what you need to put on and where. That really wasn't a big deal to me because I just figured it out as I went.

Once the time came for me to get married I REALLY wanted some nice makeup that I knew would look good and would last all day. And of course I wanted it to look great for pictures. So a few weeks before my bridal portraits I went to Glo in Fayetteville. My friend Elizabeth owns it and I knew she wouldn't let me wear anything ridiculous on my wedding day. She ended up setting me up with all things Laura Mercier. After all it was for my wedding so why not splurge?! And my sweet parents were paying for it. Anyway, I loved all the makeup and the look. It wore great and lasted forever. Once things started to run out I had a decision to make. Was I going to spend all of the money in my cosmetic envelope (Thank you, Dave Ramsey) and replenish it or was I going to go back to Walmart?! Well, I compromised. There are a few things I had such as powder foundation and blush that I liked just as well as my Walmart items. There were a couple things however that I couldn't live without.

I've ALWAYS had a hard time finding concealer I like. It would either not cover anything or cake under my eye. I use it for my dark circles (and now for the dark spot above my lips brought on my hormones. I affectionately refer to it as my 'stache). After I used the concealer from Laura Mercier I was hooked. There was no way, if I could help it, I would ever leave it.

This stuff is wonderful. It's really light and goes on super smooth. I feel like it covers everything I need it to without having to put a bunch on. And the color is perfect. If I'm tan or not tan it still seems to match. My only complaint is that it's a little "wet" after you put it on. Fortunately my next favorite product is a the cure for it.


This is the brigthening powder. I love this stuff too. I put it on over my concealer and it instantly make my eyes look refreshed. And even when I use the concealer for my 'stache I used this as well. It helps to set it but it also makes it look natural and not like I was "trying" to cover something up.

Seriously, these are the only two splurge makeup items I use at the moment. Everything is either something already in my drawer (a free gift usually) or something I have bought at Walmart or another drug store. Every paycheck I put a little money in my cosmetic envelope so that I can buy these things guilt free. If you're looking for a concealer I highly recommend you trying this one. It's the best one I've ever used and trust me I've used a lot! And no, no one is paying me to say all of this. And I didn't get any of these products for free (however that'd be great) but I just love them so much I wanted to share.

1 comments:

Carrie said...

Hi Hillary,

You don't know me, but I just had to come back and let you know of a deal that is on the Laura Mercier website.

It is $10 off of a $25 purchase plus free shipping. Here are the codes:
FALL10 and for the free shipping:new2lm

The website says that you can only use one code, but the two are working together. Hope this works for you.

I just ordered my concealer...thanks to you! I read your blog a couple of days ago about your "stache" issue and I am going through the same thing...so I wanted to try her concealer...I sure hope it works! Thanks again.
Carrie