Thursday, June 10, 2010

Compassion

*Disclaimer: the pictures are terrible! I hate having to apologize for poor photo quality but I can't get a new fancy camera until we have a little Bazyk running around (Remember our deal Dad? I provide, through God's sovereignty of course, you a grandchild and you provide us with a new camera to photograph him or her?) and since that's not happening just yet I'm going to have to deal with it. It would help if I would swallow my pride and actually use the flash in places where the lighting is bad (I get embarrassed, I mean, chawed) or if I would make sure the settings haven't been switched before I capture a one-of-a-kind moment. Oh well. Consider yourself warned.*

This past Sunday our church had the great privilege of having Shaun Groves in concert. He was fabulous. I have always liked his music that I've heard on the radio but after seeing him in person I think I like it even more.


Part of Shaun's concerts include sharing about about Compassion. I'm sure most of you are familiar with this organization but for those of you who aren't I'll give you the short version. To get more information click on the link. Compassion is a Christian organization that makes sure children of all ages are taken care of physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally through the support of it's sponsors. For $38 a month a child can have all of these needs met and then some. We can't even begin to understand what it's like to live in some of the conditions these children live in. For most of us our worst conditions are better than their best conditions. Josh and I had talked about sponsoring a child once we got married. Unfortunately we kept coming up with excuses. Yes, our money is tight, and yes we should probably use the $38 a month to finish paying off our car and to put towards his seminary but the desire to sponsor a child was always something on my heart. We had just started sponsoring one with our youth group but Josh and I had yet to personally sponsor one. During the concert I leaned over to Josh and told him I felt like we should sponsor a child. He said we could take the information and talk about it later. I wasn't really happy with that answer but just let it go. As we sat there and listened to the stories being shared I felt more compelled to sponsor a child that night. I wasn't going to push the issue anymore but luckily I didn't have to. As the concert came to a close Josh leaned over and said we should go ahead and sponsor one. So, meet our sweet 6 year old Pedro,

I let Josh pick out our child and here's who he picked. I was thrilled! I knew Josh wanted one from Central or South America and I knew he wanted a boy since we have a girl with our youth. This little guy just seemed right. Josh might have mentioned the fact that his name is Pedro...Napoleon's friend. That was just an added bonus. We are so excited to get to know this little guy. I hope one day we'll get to go meet him. I'm giving request to the Lord so we'll see what He says. :) I think now is the time for others of you who might have been thinking about sponsoring a child to go for it. You will not be disappointed and I know God will bless you!

I helped at the sign up table after the concert. The guy behind the table is Ben, he's Shaun's right-hand man and a super cool guy too. Once all of that was finished and put away Josh and I, along with a bunch of other people headed to dinner at Chili's.

Here we are with Shaun. Kelly and Scott were right when they told me he's really funny and as super cool hair. I'm even more of a fan now! Not to mention he went to Baylor and his wife went to the U of A. Hello?? Kindred spirits if I do say so myself!

Ethan, Jane Ellen, Pam (Our Pastor's family), Shannon and Aaron (getting married one month from today!)

Jarrett and Marcia (Music minister's wife and youngest son)

The wait staff at the Chilis we were at were GREAT! They had our tables ready in no time and cheese dip on the table. Apparently there is only ONE way for Shaun to eat queso and that is by adding blue cheese dressing to it.

Interesting

I admit I was a little skeptical at first. My first bite was a little cool as the queso was adjusting to the temperature of the dressing. I let it sit there a little longer before I went back for bite #2. And as it turns out it's really good!! Josh really liked it too but not nearly as much as the salsa.

Laurie, this picture is for you.

Needless to say Josh and I had a great time on Sunday. For those of you who haven't sponsored a Compassion child or put blue cheese dressing in your queso, I urge you to do it!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

It's so fun for me that you met Shaun. He is someone I admire so much! His heart is so big!
And I'm not sure about the whole bleu cheese in the queso thing but I love me some salsa!
And yeay for Pedro!!!

Jess :) said...

I am so thrilled that you were able to meet Shaun!! That's so awesome. I love my sponsor kids and think that Compassion is such a wonderful program.

Now, I'm totally gonna have to side with Kelly on this and it could just be that I CAN'T stand anything bleu cheese, but that doesn't sound very appetizing! I'm all about REGULAR queso, though!!!! :) Anyway, I'll just take your word for it.

Lexie said...

we sponsor a child through compassion and it's great to get to know your sponsored child. What a great organization

Lauren said...

That is soooo wonderful you got to meet Shaun. And yeah for a sponsor child. I sponsor a child and it is the biggest blessing!!!!! :)