Wednesday, May 12, 2010

There's Enough Room

As most of you know last summer Josh and I decided that it was best to rent an apartment for a a while instead of try to buy a house. We had really been working hard on our finances and didn't want to mess things up by taking on more than we could or should handle. So at that time the apartment search began. Our list of wants wasn't too big because we were all about some place reasonable and in a good location. We looked at several places but only one felt right. We made our decision and moved into our "love nest" (as Katie refers to it) last September. At the time we moved in I had yet to start my new hobby of sewing. Because of that I was more concerned with storage for all my dishes and other wedding gifts than I was anything else.

In November of last year I took my first sewing lesson. I had signed up for 4 and thought that's all I'd be interested in taking. Boy was I wrong. Once I started I realized I had lots to learn. I'll save all of these details for another post. Anyway, since sewing had now become a hobby of mine how on earth was I going to make it work in a 650 square foot apartment?!? Well thank goodness the Lord knew my want (not a need) before I even wanted it. Our cute little apartment had plenty of room for living and sewing.

This little built in desk off the kitchen has become my sewing spot. I'm so thankful to have it and so thankful Josh lets me keep my sewing things there. It is perfect! It's just the right height so I'm not straining to sew. It has lots of storage room underneath for sewing items and plenty of counter space for me to work with. I'd love to tell you the cabinets are filled with great patterns, fabric, ribbon, and notions but its actually full of...dishes! :) My great patters, fabric, ribbon, and notions are in the bin drawers underneath the desk.

Looks really organized, huh? It's actually pretty orderly. The top drawer has all of my thread, ribbons, notions, patterns, and other necessary items. The middle drawer has large pieces of fabric or at least bigger sections that can actually be used to construct something. The bottom drawer has all of my scraps it and other items I might need such as duck cloth, burp cloths, onesies, etc. I love my 3 drawers! I am getting close to busting out of them but Lord willing, when that time comes, Josh and I will be able to move to some place bigger (not better).

I'm sure you're wondering, or at least the seamstresses out there might be, where I have room to cut out pattern pieces. Well, the Lord worked that out too. Josh and I weren't looking for an apartment with a dining area but the one we chose has one.

(please ignore the centerpiece. I set these things here so they wouldn't get broken and have yet to figure out what to do with it)

My dining table is right next to my sewing spot so I have all the room to cut and trace and anything else that I want to. It's wonderful! I should take a picture sometime of how things looks when a sewing project is underway. Every inch of the kitchen, dining area, and sewing spot are covered. It's a mess. But it all cleans up nicely.

One day I dream of having my own sewing room with lots of neat things in it to make the whole process easier. Until then though, I love our little apartment because there's enough room to sew!

8 comments:

Lauren said...

Hillary, that sewing spot is perfect and so cute!!! And still waiting my turn for my sewing gift, haha!!!
Oh, I kid.. I know your line is a mile long!!!

Ham Family said...

Where did you take your sewing lessons? I know the basics, but would love to get better myself... you are becoming quite the inspiration for me, Mrs. Hillary!! :)

(By the way - I found my old Sunset Gardens binder the other day where we had to run that restaurant for Dr. Noble's class... oh, the memories!!)

The Bunch Fam! said...

And you say you don't have room to entertain...

Rebekah said...

You crack me up!!!! I need you to inspire me! Right now, i just ship fabric and all of my ideas to my mom! I need to to learn to do it all myself! I am impressed and can't wait to see more of your creations!

Betsy said...

I love to sew too but never have time anymore. Plus my sewing machine broke! What kind of machine do you have? You need to show us some of your cool projects!! :)

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Our first little "love nest" had a built in desk like yours...it makes a great sewing spot! All of my seeing stuff is in a closet and I have to drag it out everytime I work on something. It works but I would love to have a sewing room!

Kelly said...

Hillary - your apartment is SO cute! I really love it! I want to come see it in person! And how perfect is that sewing nook????

Faith said...

It's perfect!! God works in just the coolest ways and He has those specific places in mind for YOU! Love your sewing spot!