Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Interesting Read


A few weekends ago when Josh and I went to Dallas with friends I brought a book along. My mom got Master Your Metabolism for Christmas but I don't think she's even read it. Since I was at a plateau in my weight loss I thought I'd give it a try. Have any of you read it? Was it as overwhelming to you as it is me? Jillian introduced me to things I never even knew about. It has been very enlightening in a lot of ways but it has also stressed me out a bit. Honestly, there is no way I'm going to take this book and model all of my eating patterns after it for the rest of my life. I really don't feel like that is very realistic. I don't have the time, money, and resources to completely change everything at this place in my life. Plus I like high fructose corn syrup a little too much to get rid of it completely and forever. I have made a few changes to see if I can rev up my metabolism, or at the very least, keep it from slowing down. I've stopped added splenda or any artificial sweetener to my drinks or meals. This is a biggie for me because it ultimately meant I had to stop drinking coffee. I love coffee with splenda and creamer and so it had to go. People say to use honey but it isn't nearly sweet enough for me. And besides, it is still sugar. Instead of drinking coffee I now drink green tea. It is soooooo good for you (except guys, you aren't supposed to drink more than a couple glasses a day. read the book to find out why) so I haven't really minded having it around. I've also stopped drinking diet carbonated beverages. I used to never drink them but lately I've been drinking a few a week. I never realized just how much they mess up your metabolism. Yikes. I've also been trying to make my calories count. For a snack I'll eat nuts instead of 100 calorie crackers. And at night instead of my 100 calorie cupcakes I drink a class of organic skim milk. I plan on making a few other changes ones I get comfortable with all of these. Anyway, if you haven't read the book you should try it. Like I said, it's a bit much to take in but overall it really makes you think about things that might be sabotaging your weight loss.

4 comments:

ty said...

I'm now worried that I'm taking in like, six times the recommended daily amount of green tea. I'm interested in knowing why that's bad. I drink as much green tea as I do water!! Wah wah wahhh.

Kelly’s Korner said...

Scott drinks green tea like crazy.....do I need to worry about that??? ha!
And I know I drink a lot of my calories but it's so hard to give up cokes (for me). I do need to make some changes - i just love food so much. ha!

Laurie said...

That is really interesting! I ought to read the book.

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting on your cliff notes version! So glad to hear a few tidbits! What's with the green tea??